Saturday, June 5, 2010

This is Kurdistan: Qaradagh


I have been again silent for too long time, sorry for that. I have been very busy with the final exams of my students, but they will be over next week.

Here are some views from Qaradagh. It is a mountain area about half an hour journey from Sulaymnia, in the south of the town. The Turkish name (”Dark Mountains”) is a memory of the Ottoman times.

This is the area where PUK (Patriotic Union of Kurdistan) started at the end of 1970s armed struggle against Saddam Hussein after Mullah Mustafa Barzani had given up his struggle 1975 because of Algiers Accord.

Nowadays Qaradagh is a popular picknick resort.





2 comments:

Early Light said...

Beautiful!

Kristiina Koivunen said...

Dear You, thanks for Your comment! I wish I had more time to put pictures to Sahmaran, but until now I don't have internet at home and even in other places it is very slow.