Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Country which is like a fairy tale

I write these words a few days after returning home from Iraqi part of Kurdistan. I wanted to write a column already during my three weeks stay there. But it took a little bit of time to go through all the experiences and to understand what I had seen. It was my first journey there, everything was new.

Now after spending some days in the cool temperature I can analyze things better. This might be hard for Kurds to believe but when my plane arrived to Stockholm, Sweden, it was late afternoon and the temperature was nine degrees!

To put it shortly: I was amazed to visit a country where everything is opposite to Turkey. A country where one does not have to be afraid of police and check points on the roads. There is an European fairy tale called "Alice in Wonderland". It tells about a girl who visits a land where everything is opposite to what she is used to. This story expresses my feelings during the first days in Hawler.

I collected information for a book and newspaper articles. I got all information what I asked for and there would have been even more available - but I did not have ability to receive it. People helped me every where I went, many thanks for that. Especially I want to thank Ministers Dr. Idris H. Salih, Dr. Mohammed Ihsan, Nimrud B. Youkhana, Chnar S. Abdullah, Taha Barwary and Falah Mustafa Bakir for giving me their time and answering my questions.

One thing what surprised me was that everything happens very quickly in Kurdistan. Of course it was partly because my journey was short and meetings could not be postponed. But also there is a public will to develop the country and catch everything what was lost during the long years of international economic sanctions. Kurdistan is very dynamic place and the atmosphere of change is special.

The good level of security is a miracle which I believed only after seeing it with my own eyes. Of course I had read about it. But I did not understand it before walking days around Hawler and seeing no other police men than traffic police.

After seeing the life of Iraqi Kurds I understand better the situation of Kurds in Turkey. Also what they are missing when comparing their situation to Kurds who live under their own administration.

Of course there were also things which deserve criticism. My biggest surprise was the almost total lack of public transport in Hawler. In Finland I travel always by bus or by bicycle. So I felt almost like at home when I visited Sulaymania and travelled by bus instead of taxi. The traffic jams and transport problems in Hawler is so big issue that I will write more about it some other time.

I am looking forward to come soon back to Hawler and Sulaymania. Then I will be better prepared and my questions will be more precise.

No comments: